Monday, October 8, 2012

German Chocolate Torte



My favorite dessert has always been German Chocolate Cake. Since Ryan and I have gone "primal" I have been trying out different desserts so that I can continue to share my baking with my friends and family. About a month ago, I ran across the blog, The Food Lovers Kitchen. I found this recipe and immediately bookmarked it with the intent of making it for my birthday, instead I made brownies. Today, I decided to tackle this recipe. It wasn't very hard at all and it tastes incredible.

The recipe uses coconut flour which is extremely low carb. If you click the down arrow next to the serving amount you can decrease the serving. I made 6 servings. I used a mixture of stevia** and honey to sweeten the recipe.  I have included the changes I made below. I hope you give the dessert a try!



Instead of I used
Pecans Walnuts
Chocolate chips Baker’s Chocolate (sweetened slightly with stevia**)
Palm Oil Coconut Oil
Maple Syrup 3 tbs honey and 1/4 tsp stevia**
Salt I left this out.

**A note about stevia.

-Make sure that the stevia is the real thing, otherwise it will not be as sweet as the stevia I use. Vegetable inulin is a bulking agent, so it is not as sweet as pure stevia. Also, some stevias are sweetened with dextrose and other sweeteners. I buy my stevia from the bulk section of HyVee. The stevia bottle says, Stevia rebaudiana which is just the name of the stevia plant. It is so much sweeter than the bottled stevia options that have additives to them. About 1/2 tsp of pure stevia is equivalent to 1 cup of sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment